Wow, what an exciting time it is at Cromwell Learning Community with reading! We have had a rush push on reading, to ensure all children have access to high quality texts. We currently use the Oxford Reading tree in our Guided reading sessions, children take these home to read with their family, also children can take a book corner book and a Library book.
Our library has seen great improvements recently, with a wonderful new selection of fiction and non-fiction books.
Children from all classes regularly bring in school funds to purchase new books.
Some of our new and exciting authors include:
- Elizabeth Laird – ‘Oranges in No Man’s Land’, ‘Kiss the Dust’ and ‘The Garbage King’
- Sue Limb – ‘Absolute Torture’ – more of hers to follow!
- Soman Chainani – ‘School and Good and Evil’
- Bear Grylls
- Liz Pichon – ‘Tom Gates’
- Na’ima B Robert – ‘From Somalia with Love’
- Judith Kerr – ‘When Hitler Stole pink Rabbit’
- Jo Nesbo – ‘Doctor Proctor’s Fart Powder’
- Clarice Bean - ‘Utterly Me’
In each class in KS1 and KS2 we have a class novel which we read each half term. These are high quality texts, from super authors. These include: Julia Donaldson, Michael Morpurgo, David Almond (Skellig), Betsy Byars, Anne Frank’s Diary and Berlie Doherty